Friday, June 10, 2005

Another hot dry day. I understand that it will be warm for the next few days with little chance of rain.

Today was a day that moved apace as the expression goes. Dick and I started out early. We went to breakfast at Hardee's then picked up some supplies at Menards. When we got home, I cleaned the kitchen and sorted my writing projects.

At noon, I went to Plymouth and the eye doctor for new sun glasses, the Art Center to view an exhibit by my friend Jane Kochmod of some of her poetry and photography. Then on to the Sewing basket and finally lunch with the gals at Dairy Queen.

We had hamburger patties, potatoes and Swiss chard for dinner and topped the day off by watching and old Errol Flynn movie called Dawn Patrol from 1938. It was really good. Actually kind of an anti war movie. So many movies from that long ago are dated and boring. But this was surprisingly special. Great cast too. Errol Flynn, David Niven, Barrie Fitzgerald.

Tomorrow I will be taking Mother to my cousin Brian Ayers home for a graduation party for his daughter Amanda. The next day, my niece Jessica graduates. Randy and Donna had Jessie's party last Saturday. Jessie leaves for 25 days in Germany on Tuesday. She is on an exchange program. Things sure have changed since I graduated from High School. Even since my Bart graduated. She had worked so hard to get there, I hope the trip is all she is dreaming it will be. She is a lovely girl. Did I tell you that she looks JUST like Mother looked in her wedding picture, except of couse Jessie has red hair and Mother's was dark.

I was reviewing the cookbook that I am trying to get ready to publish and thought I would share a special recipe with you.

CHOCOLATE MOUSSE TO DIE FOR

6 oz. Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips
3 eggs Separated
3 TBLSP. water
1 Teas. Instant Coffee
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 Teas.. Vanilla
1 Tblsp. Blackberry Brandy

Stir instant coffee powder into boiling water in small heavy saucepan until completely dissolved. Add chocolate, place over low heat, stirring, just until chocolate is melted.

Remove from heat.

Whisk egg yolks into chocolate mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in Brandhy and vanilla. Beat egg whites in a medium sized bowl until foamy, bradually beat in sugar, a tablespoon at a time until merangue forms soft peaks. Gold in chocolat mixture until no streaks of white remain. Spoon into parfait glasses. Refrigerate at least one hour.

Garnish with whipped cream. Add a candied rosebud and mint leaf if you wish.

Recipe says 8 servings, I always make it 5. You COULD use any brandy but the flavored add such a great taste.


Enjoy

Mary

No comments: