Monday, October 11, 2004

Dick is still not feeling well. We are going to see his doctor tomorrow.

Today, at the bible study, we started 1 & 2 Corinthians by reading the first half of the introduction in the study guide. This is giving us a nice insite into Paul, his times and his relationship with the Corinthians. Should be fun. We have a couple of new people. I hope they stay.

Later, I went to Writer's Club. Rosemary Eichenberger, a friend, joined me today. We went out for lunch first and had a nice visit. She was a good friend of my Uncle George. She and her husband, Warren, owned the Villager. Uncle George used to walk downtown every Wednesday night after he retired and he would make the rounds of some of the bars, including the Villager, visiting with friends and having a pint or two.

Rosemary, George, Ione (the cook at the Villager) and perhaps several other people would exchange poety and once they had a Limerick Contest. Rosemary kept some of the limericks (in their own writing) and is sharing them with me. I will have Jim scan them and then give the originals back to Rosemary. I can share the copies with those of us who remember Uncle George.

He was my bachelor uncle, Dad's younger brother. He was also my Godfather. When I was living in California, he always send a cheese box at Christmas time, one of the BIG ones with about 20 varieties of cheeses. My boys loved it and learned to like all kinds of cheeses because of that. His sister, Aunt Helen, said he spent lots of time with those cheese catalogs picking out the right assortments for each person he bought a gift for.

Any way, Rosemary apparantly is also an aspiring writer and has been looking for a group for encouragement and information. I hope she likes us and comes back.

We did a writing exercize that Jane Kocmond, Ann Pirrung and I learned while we were at a writing conference a few weeks ago. Here it is, in case you want to try it.

1. Write five nouns - things that you can touch, feel, smell or see.
I picked - kitty, tomato, kilt, lotion, pine tree

2. Write five abstract words. eg: wisdom, honesty
I picked - hope, dreams, faith, wisdom, piety

Then write a paragraph, sentence of poem using at least one word from each column.

This is what I wrote:

The kitty was perched on top of the curie cabinet. Being on the highest point in the room seems to be her goal in life. Se looks for all the world like a statue of some ancient god, representing wisdom and conveying knowledge of all things good.

Try it it is fun.

Mary


No comments: