Thursday, August 19, 2004

I harvested the chokecherries today and began the winemaking process. I got to smush the berries - with my hands not my feet. It is a nice dark rich color. I am trying a slightly different recipe this time. Last year was better but I am still working with it. A gallon a year doesn't give much practice.

I will mix up the marigold next week or the week after. That one I am sure of. It makes a nice rich wine, much like a sherry.

As I said yesterday, I call the marigold, Mary's Gold. We call the chokecherry, Banshee Blood because of its deep color.

Tomorrow I am going to Irishfest. I am going to look for some nice Celtic Designs. Visit with some friends. Listen to Tommy Makem and come home.

With any luck they will be serving sausage rolls somewhere on the grounds. It is soon time for me to order more Irish sausage and bacon. I have just enough bacon for BLTs. I must fix them soon now that tomatoes are starting to ripen.

There is an old Irish proverb that says. "The mountains never meet, but people can always encounter each other."

Mountains stand next to each other forever and never exchange a word, but people, even strangers can exchange all kinds of parts of their lives and possibly never even see each other again.

Mary

No comments: