Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Bret has a birthday this weekend. He was born on Labor Day, September 4, 1967. I remember going to the hospital early in the morning. When I got there, I came up on the same elevator with another person, also in labor. We joined about 3 other women who were also about ready to deliver. I remember the head nurse saying (and I quote) "Just because it is Labor Day did not mean that you all had to come in at once."

My sister-in-law, Jacquie along with Aunt Ruth and Cousin Linda drove me to the hospital because Bret's father was out in the desert on a jeep run. This may sound cold but it really WAS OK. Dr. Roper had assured us that I was showing no signs of going into labor and the jeep club we belonged to was hosting a rally. He went out to help with my permission. Such is life. Those days, fathers did not come into the delivery room anyway, so what good would he have been.

I find it hard to believe that 37 years have passed since that day. He has grown to be a nice young man and I am very proud of him. His brother Bart gave him a complement several years ago. He said, "My brother is a happy man." and he is.

Love

Mary

No comments: