Thursday, November 21, 2013

Good Day

I went to the Sheboygan County  Caregiver Conference arranged by the Alzheimer's Association at Acuity.  It was a very informative and enjoyable event.   Their theme was Forget-Me-Not.    Very appropriate.   There were vendors from many local resources.   Home Care, Rehab, Transportation. Meals on Wheels, Nursing homes etc.   I got a lot of pens and note pads let me tell you.   I saw Heidi from Embrace Care who we dealt with when Dick was getting care here.    She would come occasionally when the regulars couldn't and just check on us.    I loved that she asked about Roxie too.

I especially liked Nancy Simenz who is chaplain at Sharon Richardson Community Hospice, talked about Difficult Caregiving Decisions.   I brought her handouts to share with the family because they are very practical.    I will be taking them and other stuff to Mom's for any of the family to peruse.

The second speaker that I REALLY got something from was   Greg Giles, who is employed by the Y in Fond du Lac.   He is an amazing speaker and left us with some simple "lists" to practice.

The first is 1. Risk More
                   2.  Reflect More
                   3.  Leave a Legacy

He said that when someone did a survey of older people and asked how they would change their lives if they could, the above were the ones that appeared over and over again.

The second list is  1.  Care
                              2.  Share
                              3.  Laugh
                              4.  Dare.

I ran into several fellow caregivers.   Always good to share and these events always have the best lunches.   They are worth it for the lunch actually.

So that was my day.   Time to settle.   I am watching John McGivern in Door County.    Soon I will go to bed and get ready for tomorrow.   A much quieter day.

Richard and Brenda emailed and we have decided on dinner on Thanksgiving at 5PM.   Gathering anytime in the afternoon. 

I heard from Jim and Michele and they are going to Bart and Barb's for Thanksgiving.

Good.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: