Thursday, March 16, 2006

What a great day. The impending winter storm turned out to be a short period of light snow this morning that ended early. By the time I went to get my hair cut at 1:45 the snow was gone from the grass and roads already.

SO, the drive to Plymouth to meet Jeff and Kathy for dinner at Dairy Queen and on to 52 Stafford to hear Blarney at 8:00 was on and fun. Dick and I stayed for two sets and left at about 10:30. The smoke was really getting to Dick and I figure that I will be walking in less than 12 hours and really need to get some sleep. One of my classmates, Nancy Gallagher Roehre joined us for the music. We had a nice visit, sang some songs and lifted a couple of pints.

Pat O'Reilly sang a couple of songs for us too. He is my brother in law, Ken Thuemmler's, uncle. He has a lovely Irish voice. Several years ago, Dick and I had gone for the music on St. Patrick's Eve when Pat sang. In the middle of singing "My Old Man", he collapsed with a heart attack. Fortunately, one of the musicians is an EMT and there were two emergency room nurses in the audience. They were on him before he hit the ground. By the time the paramedics came he was coming too and they stagilized him before they took him to the hospital. I still remember that stubborn old man struggling to get off the gurney. He kept saying that he had not finished his song.

He fully recovered and sang his song the next year and for these many years since.


I got some more cards today - notably one from my daughter in law Brenda about St. Patrick driving the snakes out of Ireland. Totally FUNNY.

Tomorrow I walk. Have a WONDERFUL St. Patrick's Day. I know that I will.
Archbishop Dolan even said that I can eat meat so I am looking forward to some Corned Beef either in a sanwich or a dinner. I just can't decide. I will be fixing corned beef and cabbage on Sunday if you want to come for dinner. Just let me know so I know how many potatoes to put in the pot.

Love

Mary

No comments: