Sunday, October 23, 2005

Today was a yucky day weatherwise. It was damp and rainy and rather chilly. The only saving grace was that there was very little wind so the chill was not "to the bone."

I went to the 8:00AM Mass and sold raffle tickets after Mass. We sold a few this time. I hope the raffle does well. We really have EXCELLENT raffle items. A twin sized quilt that I made, a patriotic throw, a Janome Sewing Machine donated by The Sewing Machine Shop in Sheboygan Falls and a framed print of the Villager. The artist is our own Kitty Klitch who is also the chair of the Turkey Dinner. It is a beautiful print and she had it framed exquisitly.

Then I zipped over to Mother's for just a few minutes and then home. I had to be home by 10:00AM to receive Stenn - the Commissioner's call that it was OK for me to go in and post my selections for the Fantasy Football League. You can imagine my horror on Saturday morning, when I realized that they had moved the Miami game to Friday night because of fear of Hurricane Wilma. Stenn made it possible to post my picks except for the Miami game, of course. I stuck up for the Packers again today and they blew it. Against those mean awful Vikings too.

Brenda and Dick came to take us out for lunch at about 11:00AM. We went to Antoinette's in Plymouth. I knew that they had a rather nice selection fo vegetarian dishes. A cold and a hot sandwich, at least three pizzas and at leat two pasta dishes.

Dick was rather sick after we got home. Nothing major but he is really laying low for the next day or two. My cold is no better. I am glad that the next three days are quiet. I need to heal. As we speak, I am steeping some Respiratory Tea to help me relax and sleep tonight.

I wanted to tell you a bit more about our trip. The second day, Tuesday, we went to Keene's Depot, a store that deals in hunting and fishing gear and clothing AND food. They sugar cure their own hams. They explained the process and I bought a hunk to make some bean soup with later this week. They said it absolutely needs NO refrigeration.

We then went to Heaven Hill. Heaven Hill is a bourbon distillery in Bardstown. We were treated to a wonderful tour of the distillery museum and the warehouses where the bourbon is aged in charred new oak barrels. The three things necessary for good bourbon are - water that comes from limestone sources, good corn, wheat, rye, and new white oak barrels that are charred on the inside. It is the charred staves that give the bourbon its color and the distinctive carmelly taste. We got to go to the tasting room, (a room in the shape of a half barrel with a circular bar. We were treated to a lesson on inspecting bourbon. The master distiller seldom drinks the bourbon to test it. He relies on color, odor and the way the bourbon swirls around the glass. We all were given two samples (about a tablespoon each). One of a 7 year and one of a 12 year old bourbon. We tasted them with and without a touch of water. I liked the 7 year with water the best.

The guide told us that in 1998 lightening struck one of the 7 story rick houses (the proper name, I believe for a liquor warehouse) and it started on fire. As it burned the whole building, story by story began to collapse, barrels breaking open and bursting into flames as they fell. This warehouse was on top of the hill and the bourbon started down the hill and set six other warehouses on fire on the way to the creek. It flowed, still burning under the bridge over the creek and buckled the blacktop. It continued out into the river. Traffic on the main highway was stopped because flames were up over the bridge. They said that the flames were as high as a 35 story building at their peak. All they could do was let it burn out as it went very fast and there was no way to contain it. They have recovered beautifully and he did say that all the warehouses have different ages of bourbon in them so that there was never a year without a certain aged brew.

I recommend that you visit Heaven Hill if you get the chance. A nicely put together tour and you do not have to taste the bourbon but you do get samples if you want to.





Questions that really need answers...
1. Who was the first person to look at a cow and say, "I think I'll squeeze
these dangly things here, And drink whatever comes out?"
2. Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there? I'm gonna eat
the next thing that comes outta it's butt."
3. Why is there a light in the fridge and not in the freezer?
4. If Jimmy cracks corn and no one cares, why is there a song about him?

Til Tomorrow

Mary

No comments: