Monday, May 16, 2005

A nice peaceful day. I went to bible study this morning. We had a very animated discussion about bringing the readings of the Mass on Sunday into our daily lives. We challenged each other to try to remember something that impresses us in next Sunday's readings and bring it to the study next Monday. This was the third week of the study of the Eucharist and covered the readings, the homily and the petitions.

We are learning a lot. Some of our conversation went to the old customs, such a St. Blaze Day. That was a "feastday" that used to be very popular. It occurs on February 3rd and we used to have our throats blessed with candles. It was supposed to help keep sore throats away. Tom Keyes said that it was an important milestone years back as the farmers knew that there should be "half the hay and half the oats" left at St. Blaze Day.

I read somewhere that we should read Paul's letters as letters - as if they were writted to us instead of the ancient Christian communities. This is a nice idea if one has a knowledge of the world as Paul knew it and can take his words with that in mind. For example, his views on women, though progressive for his age, can really get one's hackles up. It is easier when a person realizes that in Paul's time, women and slaves were pretty much on a par and slavery was an accepted fact of life.

I signed Rosalie, my trap shooting friend, and me up for trap league at Sheboygan Falls Conservation Club. I hop that I remember SOMETHING from last year. We will have to shoot two rounds next week in order to catch up.

Be happy. It is supposed to be nice and warm tomorrow and I am going to plant my Mother's Day dahlias.

Love

Mary

No comments: