Saturday, March 05, 2005

It was in the upper 40s today. I fried out today, brats and venison steaks and was able to do it wearing a denim jacket instead of the old bulky winter coat. Of course, there is still snow all over the ground and supposedly more coming. Doesn't matter - today we had a hint of spring.

It is less than two weeks to St. Patrick's Day. I have not heard from Bob MacEwen and the ad for Richards does not indicate live music or a Celtic poet, that being me. So I guess I have to find my own entertainment. I do plan on going to Plymouth, walking in the Irishman's Walk, eating and just having a good time with my friends. Perhaps I will put a couple of poems in my pocket and see if I can read there. Usually, there is some kind of music in the afternoon. We can't go the night before to see Blarney because it is our night at the Sheboygan Theatre and Dick and I will be taking Mother out to dinner and to see "The Sting". It will be a nice evening and we are taking her to one of the new Thai restuarants in town. She has not been to one and I know she will like it.

A friend sent me this before we invaded Iraq but it is still funny. As we are nearing the great day for the Irish, I will try to have something "green" for you each day.

"Saddam Hussein was sitting in his office wondering whom to
invade next when his telephone rang.

"Hallo, Mr. Hussein!", a heavily accented voice said. "This is
Paddy down at the Harp Pub in County Sligo, Ireland. I am ringing to
inform you that we are officially declaring war on you!"

"Well, Paddy," Saddam replied, "This is indeed important
news! How big is your army?"

"Right now," said Paddy, after a moment's calculation,
"there is myself, my cousin Sean, my next door neighbor Seamus, and the
entire dart team from the pub. That makes eight!"

Saddam paused. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have one
million men in my army waiting to move on my command."

"Begorra!", said Paddy. "I'll have to ring you back!"

Sure enough, the next day, Paddy called again. "Mr.
Hussein,t he war is still on! We have managed to acquire some infantry
equipment!"

"And what equipment would that be, Paddy?" Saddam asked.

"Well, we have two combines, a bulldozer, and Murphy's farm
tractor." Paddy replied.

Saddam sighed. "I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 16,000
tanks and 14,000 armored personnel carriers. Also, I've increased my
army to 1-1/2 million since we last spoke."

"Saints preserve us!" said Paddy. "I'll have to get back to you."

Sure enough, Paddy rang again the next day. "Mr. Hussein,
the war is still on! We have managed to get ourselves airborne! We've
modified Harrigan's ultra-light with a couple of shotguns in the
cockpit, and four boys from the Shamrock Pub have joined us as
well!"

Saddam was silent for a minute and then cleared his throat.
"I must tell you, Paddy, that I have 10,000 bombers and 20,000 fighter
planes. My military complex is surrounded by laser-guided, surface-to-air
missile sites. And since we last spoke, I've increased my army to TWO
MILLION!"

"Jesus, Mary, and Joseph!", said Paddy, "I'll have to ring
you back."

Sure enough, Paddy called again the next day. "Top o' the
mornin', Mr. Hussein! I am sorry to tell you that we have had to
call off the war."

"I'm sorry to hear that," said Saddam. "Why the sudden
change of heart?"

"Well," said Paddy, "we've all had a long chat over a bunch
of pints, and decided there's no way we can feed two million prisoners."

God Bless the Irish! "




Bobbie and Bill are coming for dinner tomorrow. I am fixing Mexican because Dick wants to try Spanish Hot Chocolate and Churros and would like the meal to reflect the theme. Sounds like fun.


Mary



Til Tomorrow

Mary

No comments: