Wednesday, March 02, 2005

I have been working on a mini biography of my Grandfather Mike Deeley to submit to a Woman's Day contest. The prize is a consultation with a geneology expert and be featured in Woman's Day. I am getting there. In the process, I reread some notes my Dad made many years ago of his memories of my Grandfather.

Here is one of the paragraphs from my Dad.

"Occasionally Dad and I would stop for a drink, I for a beer and he for a whiskey and beer. Unlike others he'd drink the beer first then the whiskey. Wen asked why, he'd say if you did it the other say, you couldn't taste the whiskey."

Grandpa was not a heavy drinker, but he did like his whiskey. I remember going to church with Grandma on weekdays. After Mass, I would go over to their house which was just down the street and have breakfast with Grandma. Usually Grandpa would come down while we were eating breakfast. The first thing he would do is kiss my Grandma on her neck and cheek. She would giggle like a schoolgirl and say "Not in front of Mary Helen". (Not too convincing to me.) Then he would go and have a shot of whiskey before his breakfast. Just one. And he did not drink any more during the day or evening that I was aware of. I think it was good for his heart. He did live to be 93.

Happy mid week

Mary

No comments: