Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Today I made Lizzies. They are a fruit bread type cookie. I got the recipe from Mother. I like them because they are fruit bread without the citrons which do not thrill me.

Tomorrow I will make the Peanut Butter Buckeyes.

One year several years ago, I told Dick that I wasn't going to make them because they are so putsy. You have to mix all this stuff together until it is smooth. Then you roll it all into balls about the size of a chestnut. Then you chill the peanut butter balls. Then you dip each one into melted chocolate and parafin and chill them again. By sticking a toothpick in each ball and dipping, all but a little round circle is covered with chocolate which is where the buckeye name comes from.

Anyway, that year, I decided to stick to fudge and Tarantulas and stuff like that. Well, Dick told Jim my plans and Jim said. "Well, why do we even have Christmas then? We wait all year for buckeyes. Why bother." Needless to say, I made buckeyes and have never suggested such an omission again.

I will add the recipe here for you. They really are truely wonderful.

Peanut Butter Buckeyes

1 lb Butter (Do not substitute margerine)
2 lb creamy peanut butter
3 lb powdered sugar
2 teasp. vanilla

For Dipping

2 large packages of semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cake of parifin.

Mix the first four ingredients with a spoon and your hands. Roll into balls about the size of a chestnut or smaller. Put on cookie sheets or whatever covered with waxed paper and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.

Melt the chips and parifin and mix well. Stick a toothpick into each ball and dip into the chocolate. Put back on the waxed paper and chill til chocolate is well set. Store in containers in the refrigerator.

Enjoy and think of me tomorrow.

Mary


No comments: