Friday, July 09, 2004

Busy day. We took the car in for maintenance this morning, I had my hair cut. I went to lunch in Plymouth with the Wells Fargo people.

This evening I joined Patti Cedzo, a friend, for a fish boil at the Sheboygan County Historical Museum. Dick and Jim do not like fish so it was a real pleasure for me to be able to go to one of these. We went through the museum grounds and part of the museum proper after we ate. I was delighted to see in the pictoral history of Sheboygan under the Mead Library section a nice picture of Dick. Most of you know, but some might not that Dick was the director of Mead Public Library for over 25 years and was responsible for it being listed as one of the top libraries in the country under his direction. He can be very proud. I know that we are.

I fixed Schlitzhagen this week. I was just hungry for it. Mom used to make it when I was a kid so it is a "comfort food." Dad would occasionally bring home a bucket of chicken broth and this was one way Mom would use it for really good meals. (The meatball part is basically my meatloaf recipe.)

SCHLITZHAGEN
3 lb. ground beef
1 large onion
1 egg
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs (I like to butter and and sprinkle garlic on white
bread, dry it in the oven then grind into crumbs.)
Salt and Pepper
Chicken Broth about a quart.

Start warming the chicken broth in a Dutch oven.
Mix the first five ingredients in a large bowl. Form into meatballs and roll in flour. Brown the meatballs in a frying pan and drop into the hot chicken broth. Cook for about 30 to 40 minutes until the meatballs are done. Serve over mashed potatoes or cooked noodles.

Enjoy

Love

Mary

No comments: