Thursday, June 17, 2004

Yesterday, I was not home from my eighth grade reunion until too late to do a blog. So here I am a day late.

50 years ago, I was a member of the very first class that graduated from St. Mary's Grade School in Sheboygan Falls. We started there in 6th grade. At that time there was no middle school. So the school has been in existance for 53 years. I remember the building of it and how proud St. Mary Parish was and still is proud of the school and its mission. It is the only alternative to public education in Sheboygan Falls, which makes it an even more important mission. I hope we will be able to keep it open. The enrollment needs to be increased to do that. We have a principal who seems to be really working on that. When I went, all of the teachers were nuns. Now, not one works at the school. The decline in the number of nuns is as dramatic as the reduction in the number of priests.

Anyway, there were about 8 of us there plus several of the class behind us. At that time we had combined classes. Can you imagine. There were about 50 of us in the class with ONE teacher. And we learned.

We met about 1:00PM and people wandered in for the next couple of hours. We ate at about 5:30 or 6:00. Visited and then sat around a campfire until the mosquitoes got too bad. Ken came up with a campfire game. We had to think of one truth and two lies about our lives and then everyone guessed the truth. Do you have any idea HOW hard it is to think of a lie about yourself. I fooled everybody. I told these lies. 1. I had a poem published in a national anthology. 2. I shoot trap and am pretty good. My hightest score was 24. My truth was that I sideswiped a car when I was taking my drivers test.

That really is the truth. I took the test three times. The third time the two examiners were both trying to get out of testing me. I had taken a class or two by then. I just went and paid for two classes. I did a parallel park that was textbook. AND I never did one again.

The Kids, Bart and Barb, are safe in Lawton.

Yea

Mary

No comments: