Friday, February 06, 2004

Snow all over the place. We got at least 5 more inches last night. Chelsea loves it and it is really pretty. I guess we are still a bit behind on what we need to maintain the water table but the season is not over yet.

I have a nice quiet weekend coming up. We will go shooting on Sunday. I did just terrible tonight. I don't know what I am doing wrong but maybe practice is what I need.

Jim is home all weekend, so I made a dessert to last us for the next three evenings. I picked up some raspberries and blackberries at the store yesterday and made an upside down cake. It got kind of exciting when I got to the part of the recipe that said to alternate adding the flour and the milk to the creamed butter and sugar but did not tell me how much milk was needed. So I did some research and revamped the recipe as follows:

Raspberry Blackberry Upside Down Cake

1/4 c. Brown Sugar
2 TB Bitter
2 c. Berries (Blackberry, Raspberry, Whatever you have.)
1/2 Cup Margerine or butter
1 3/4 c. Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/2 c. Flour
2 ts. Baking Powder
12 ts. salt
1 c. Milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Heat brown sugar and 2 tablespoons butter in an 8 or 9 inch iron skillet over medium heat. Add berries and cook. Sir until mixture bubbles then add 3/4 cups of the sugar and cook for 5 more minutes.

Mix 1/2 cup butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until fluffy. Blend in eggs. Bix four, baking powder and salt together and sift alternately with milk to the creamed butter mixture.

Pour batter over cooked fruit and bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Let sit for a few minutes til lukewarm. Run a knife around the pan and turn onto a large plate. (Be sure you invert it while still warm or it won't come out of the pan.) Best served warm. Whipped cream or ice cream are nice additions but not necessary.

It sure is good.

Love

Mary

No comments: