Monday, November 17, 2003

I think I mentioned that I am hosting Thanksgiving this year. I am fixing two desserts. Pumpkin Pie and Figgy Hobbin. Figgy Hobbin is a dish I discovered when Dick and I spent a night near Pendarvis Wisconsin. Pendarvis is a Welsh settlement in the Southwestern part of the state. It is kind of like a raisin pie, but made jelly roll fashion. Then you cut it into pinwheel shapes, put two side by side on a plate with a scoop of ice cream and carmel syrup swirled lightly over all. It has become a favorite.

I always use the pie crust recipe that I got from Lil, my dear ex-mother-in-law. Here it is.

1 cup Crisco
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1/3 Cup sugar
3 teasp. salt
6 Tblsp. hot water
1 Tblsp. Canned milk or buttermilk

Cream the Crisco, flour, sugar and salt together with a fork until curmbly. Spinkle the wet ingredients over all and mix until plibable. (Add a little more flour if necessary.) Roll into a circle if for a pie and put into a pie pan. The above is enough for a 2 crust pie.

For Figgy Hobbin, roll into a rectangle. Spread a raisin pie mixture over all. (If you want mine, let me know) Roll jelly roll fashion. Place on cookie sheet and bake until done. 30 to 45 minutes at 375 degrees until browned nicely.

Num Num


Mary

No comments: