Monday, October 13, 2003

I guess yesterday's post didn't POST. I told you all about going shooting with Jim and Bobbie and sighting in my shotgun and letting Bobbie and Jim shoot my 243 Page rifle. Did I tell you about that rifle? It was a gift from my first husband before Bret was even born. Before Bret was born, I did go deer hunting a couple of times with him.

The gun was made for me by our friend Ralph Winchester. He hand carved the stock out of a piece of black walnut he had brought back from his Grandfather's farm in Arkansas. Then he fiberglassed it so it doesn't scratch easily. He put in a 240 Page action. It is an easy gun to shoot. Hardly any kick at all.

Today I went to Writer's Club and learned a new kind of poetry called Pantoum. It is kind of complicated. But this is the example that we did as a group.

Autumn in Wisconsin

The leaves of color
Yellow birch leaves glistening
Cover the forest floor
Eludes Jack Frost's bite

Yellow birch leaves glistening
Musty smell under the trees
Eludes Jack Frost's bite
Children hide in the leaves.

Musty smell under the trees
A carpet fro God's creatures
Children hide in the leaves
Squirrels scurry with acorns.

A carpet for God's creatures
Covers the forest floor
Squirrels scurry with acorns
The leaves of color.


Interesting isn't it. I'm going to try my own.

Mary

No comments: