Tuesday, October 14, 2003

I would recommend the current exhibit of the Quilts of Gee's Bend that is the main exhibit at the Milwaukee Art Museum to ANYONE who can go. I went today with my Mother and had the extra icing on the cake of being able to lunch and be guided to the Georgia O'Keefe section and through part of the Gee's Bend exhibit with my niece Britt Salvesen and her husband Brian , who are employees of the museum. Britt is the Assistant Curator of Prints and Brian works in the Graphic Arts Department. We had SUCH a perfect day. Mother and I really got into the quilts and enjoyed the accompanying video immensly. I was so impressed with the women and what they had to say. One of them said that when she were growing up they had nothing and were really poor but were happy. Now people have everything and are not happy. And what a wonderful laugh she gave after her statement.

I was sorry that I could not have been there for the opening. The ladies were there and even sang. I did buy their CD so we will be able to enjoy their music.

Love

Mary

No comments: