Monday, May 12, 2003

Well. I did not put a turkey on the table on Saturday morning on my hunting trip. But I cannot say it was not a successful hunting trip. Randy is such a patient guy and a good teacher. The weather was just perfect. It was cool enough that I was glad to have the long sleeves on and the funny head covering didn't bug me but warm enough that I didn't feel I wanted to shed something. We heard the turkeys gobbling both to the right and to the left in the woods but they never wandered out onto the field to feed or present a good target. I did see one fly out from the trees and accross the field. It looked big, probably a tom but he was on the fly and I could not shoot. The noise out there at dawn is indescribable. I wish I was better at identifying the bird songs. With my limited knowledge, we heard - crows, morning doves, turkeys, finches, cardinals, woodpeckers and geese. There were at least four other distinctive sounds that I cannot put to the bird. At one point two cardinals flew into the tree above me and sang their hears out. Are they EVER loud. Everything is turning green out there and it was the greatest way to start a day. Of course, getting up at 3:30AM isn't something I really want to do every day.

No comments: