Thursday, May 15, 2003

Rhubarb. The first fruit of spring. I was able to harvest the first of my crop today. Memories of rhubarb date back to my childhood. We would pick those sour stalks and get a cup with sugar in the bottom. Then glory in the sour sweet taste of raw sweetened rhubarb. I don't do that anymore.

Jim LOVES rhubarb pie and today we had the first of the year. I'll share my recipe.


Rhubarb Cream Pie

Prepared 9 " Pie Crust (I have my own recipe but you CAN use a frozen or a packaged one.)

1 1/2 Cups Sugar
1/4 Cup Flour
3/4 teasp. Nutmeg
3 Eggs - slightly beaten
4 Cups Rhubarb - cut in 1" slices
2 Tblsp. Butter

Pour the rhubarb into the prepared pie crust. Blend sugar, flour and nutmeg. Add to eggs. Pour mixture over the rhubarb in the crust and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and cook until the custard is set. This will take from 20 to 35 minutes. Check every 5 minutes after the 20.

Yum. Yum.

No comments: