Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Boy was this a great day.  

Not only was the weather STILL pleasant.   Sunshine and no wind.  (That is supposed to change over night and we may even have flurries by Friday morning.)  But good things happened all day.

I went on a baking frenzy again.  If anybody wants to come to eat, I have pie and will have fresh sour dough bread on Friday.  Come on down.

Today was a red letter day.   I had a hair cut appointment today.   That is always fun because I like Teri.   She does a great job for me and has become a very close friend.   Then I drove to Fleet Farm to pick up some raisins.     While I was there, as always, I checked for 22 shells.   There was a guy looking for the same thing.   We commiserated for a bit as we looked at the empty shelves, then we happened to look down to the bottom shelf and there were 6 - 100 round boxes of 22 Long Rifle 22 target load shells.  Wha La -   We couldn't believe it.  We read the description about 6 times then divided them and went on our way.      I feel like I discovered gold.

The Sheboygan Press, today, has an article written by my friend, Beth Dippel.   She runs the Sheboygan County Historical Research Center and does regular articles for the Press on Sheboygan County's History.  This week she wrote about the end of WWI.   Sheboygan Falls virtually shut down when the word came of the truce.   I remembered that Aunt Helen, who was born on May 20, 1905, and would have been 12 years old when the war ended  in October of 1918, told me that when the news came that the war was ended, all the people of Sheboygan Falls who were able, marched down the Lower Falls Road to Sheboygan en masse.   Beth has a picture of some of the crowd.  It was one of Helen's vivid memories and I am so glad that she shared it with me.

Wouldn't it have been lovely if that war HAD ended all Wars.

Dia Dhuit

Mary

No comments: