Wednesday, September 12, 2007

I thought that Dick would NEVER wake up this morning. He WAS up when I woke up at 6:15 but went back to bed when I started out on my walk with Chelsea. He was sound asleep when we got back. The air was cool and dry this morning. Perfect for a nice brisk walk.

So, when we got back, I did all my computer stuff and took my shower and checked the plants and worked a bit on the football pool and started getting REALLY hungry. He finally woke up at about 9AM and we headed straight to the Family Restaurant for breakfast. I was starting to get cranky. I DO get kind of cranky if I am left unfed too long. After we ate, we grocery shopped at the Pig.

The rest of the day was all at home. Yea!!!

I sewed some squares together to begin the baby quilts, harvested marigold seeds and cleaned half of the garage. I figure I can do the other half tomorrow and figure out how I will store the planters and especially the herbs that might survive the winter. I have great hopes for the lavender, the thyme and the rosemary.

This morning when I went out on the deck to begin harvesting the marigold seeds, imagine my surprise when, for the second time, the planter with the marigolds in it was on the ground below. The rain gauge was also toppled and I am beginning to believe that some critter, probably a squirrel is messing around on the deck and getting on just the right spot to dump the thing. Anyway, I just moved it to the front of the garage for the remainder of the season. I think perhaps next year I will weight it down with rocks or something.

I had mentioned that my friend Donna gave me that Pangissin from my Dad's Freshman year. This is a double treasure, because the year my Dad graduated was in the middle of the depression and they did not have a Pangissin that year, only a book with the pictures of the graduates with a cover sheet of their song, motto etc. There are TWO pictures of my Dad in the Freshman book so we are truly blest.

A touch of humor

Fifty-one years ago, Herman James, a North Carolina mountain man, was drafted by the Army. On his first day in basic training, the Army! issued him a comb. That afternoon the Army barber sheared off all his hair. On his second day, the Army issued Herman a toothbrush. That afternoon the Army dentist yanked seven of his teeth.
On the third day, the Army issued him a jock strap. The Army has been looking for Herman for 51 years.

Have a nice Thursday. Hope you get to be home too.

Love
Mary




No comments: