Monday, June 18, 2007

It was hot AGAIN today. We got a sprinkling of rain but not enough to be really useful for the gardens. This cold front they speak of seems to be a figment of somebody's imagination.

This morning I went to bible study. We had a pre-discussion of the worms that Shirley and her family had found in one of the holy water fonts last summer. That was very lively from, what one does with wormy holy water to the expressions on grandchildren's faces when Fr. Gene told them that SOMEBODY had to DRINK it.

Sunday is the feast of St. John the Baptist. The readings were interesting. I was surprised to find it stated very specifically in the Old Testament that the "servant of God" was to "restore the survivors of Israel" AND be "a light to the nations that my salvation my reach to the ends of the earth." So he promised heaven to everybody, not just his chosen people.

Then I went to see Mother and brought her some soup and cookies. We had a nice visit. She is very well now. I stayed until a bit after 11AM when Aunt Kathleen and Uncle Bob picked her up to take her to Uncle Pat and Aunt Joan's house in Van Dyne, just north of Fond du Lac on the west side of Lake Winnebago. Some of you may not know that Uncle Pat is Mother's youngest brother. He is only a few years older than I am.

This afternoon was the Cream City Writer's club. I enjoy these meetings but once in a while a couple of our members get onto religious or political tangents that should not be part of the meeting. Today, it turned into a heated argument between Sy Regan and Don Cooper. This was a disagreement on the prison system that turned into BOTH as religious and political debate between the two. Three of us ladies just raised our hands and told them to take it outside as this is a writer's club not a political group. That ended it right away and we continued around the table and ended quite amicably. We ended as we usually do with each member present putting in a word. Then during the next month we try to use as many of the words as we can in a poem or paragraph. It is a good exercise and as the words usually have no connection we have to stretch our minds.

Maybe you would like to try. The words this month are 1. plover 2. glorious 3. tranquil
4. concert 5. flag 6. fireworks and 7. lavender.

Kate and I had coffee after the meeting. I drove her home. She hurt her back on Friday and had been unable to drive safely. We are going to go to Hobby Lobby one of these days to frame some prints that she has AND the print that George and Betsy gave me of Courtney's Silver Taps. I think I can get it done quite nicely there as I have had other prints done there. Kate is an interior decorator and has never tried them but was impressed with the framing that I had done there last year.

I did some quilting tonight. I just have the binding to do on the kitty quilt. Then I will take a picture and post it here. It is such fun when a project is finished and one sees the results. Then I get anxious to get on to the next one.

Have a nice Tuesday. We have to be in Sheboygan to see Dr. Hodous at 9:15PM

Mary

No comments: