Friday, January 21, 2005

Dick and I went to see the movie Phantom of the Opera today. Mother had seen a review that stated that it was not good at all. We disagreed. The movie has been adapted for the big screen and has a slightly different slant and impact than the stage production, but the music is just as big and the singing was wonderful. We are very glad that we went.

Then we drove out to take Mother a birthday card. She is 89 today. She said her day was perfect. She stayed home and people came to her. Randy and Donna brought her a hamburger from Dairy Queen for lunch and ate with her. Mary Margaret, Eileen's daughter, stopped in for a few minutes and then Dick and I came. She got cards and calls from lots of people and beautiful pink roses from Nora. She said she might just end up with a big head from all the wonderful complements and good wishes. We told her, why not.

Dick is making chili today for the weekend. Actually, we are going to a Thai restaurant tomorrow. We want to try Thai food and Paulette, a friend at Mead Library, recommends a restaurant on Michigan Avenue. I'll let you know. It will be an adventure as none of us have had Thai food before. Paulette informed Jim that he will be able to get food as spicy hot as he wants there. We will see. He likes it so hot that his ears turn red and his eyes water. (Not me.) I just like to try new kinds of food.

George W. Bush is sworn in as our president for his second term. I hope all goes well. I hope he doesn't expand the war. I hope he is wise about Social Security.
I wish they hadn't spent so much money on the festivities.

I did notice that all the former presidents except for Ford were on the platform during the ceremony. I hope that Ford is OK. We do not hear anything about him at all.

Tomorrow was supposed to be a quilting day for me. The Quilt Guild had planned a Local Talent day and I had signed up for a couple of workshops. However, as we are supposed to be getting up to 6 inches of snow (maybe more) over night, they have cancelled. So now I have to find things to amuse myself. And I intend to do it here at home. I am thinking of possibly trying to quilt one of the baby quilts for At Risk children. We will see.

Anyway , have a nice Saturday and let me know how you are all doing.

Love

Mary

No comments: