Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Thursday, my brother Jeff and I are going to De Pere to pick up the property that Bart and Barb could not fit into the truck when they went to Oklahoma. Jeff is going to find room at his place until they come up here in November when my step grandson graduates from the Great Lakes Naval Academy. Jeff and I both have to be back early enough to go to evening meetings.

Today, while I was walking, Ithe song called The Traveling People went through my head. It is a song about the Tinkers in Ireland. There are still Tinkers in Ireland, though I believe they live in nicer mobile homes and such. My friend Alice says that they are pretty wealthy and not entirely trustworthy.

Anyway, I remembered that, up until the time I was 18 or 19, there was a band of Gypsies that would occasionally show up in Sheboygan Falls. They dressed just as colorfully as in the movies and would camp down in, what we called, the Flats. The Flats in Sheboygan Falls is now an industrial area next to the Sheboygan River. It was also one of the areaa that young people used to go to neck.

But I do remember the Gypsies coming. I wonder if there are such colorful bands of traveling gypsies anymore. They would have trouble just parking somewhere. You have to pay to camp almost anywhere and also need reservations. I would imagine that that life is pretty much a thing of the past.

Maybe I'll check on the net.

Have a great day.

Mary

No comments: