Friday, June 04, 2004

I was remembering Grandpa Bowser, my Mother's dad today. Uncle Noel, told a story about his relationship with his sons that I just loved. In nice weather, Grandpa always sat on the front porch and read the paper on Sunday mornings. He always wore his hat and his vest as he sat out there.

Uncle Noel, a typical teen, was talking to Grandpa one Sunday and said "I think I can take you Dad." Grandpa said they should see. He got up, put his hat on the table next to his chair and walked down into the yard next to the porch.

I will set the scene a bit. Grandma and Grandpa's house was up on a slight hill and "fenced" by a nice row of hedges on the edge of the hill which sloped down to the sidewalk.

Grandpa and Uncle Noel squared off. Then Noel said Grandpa picked him up and pitched him over the fence and walked back up on to the porch to finish his paper.

Noel never challenged Grandpa again. Even when he KNEW that he could take him.

Have a nice Saturday.

Mary

No comments: