Sunday, May 23, 2004

I read a summary of an important part of the Koran years ago that really impressed me. It stated that - Every child has a right to believe that the world was created Just for him (or her.) I really liked that. Children are so eager and open and so trusting. They have this inate feeling of self that if not destroyed can be refreshing and beautiful. I wish all the children in the world could be cushioned and treated this way.

I always remember one year, while feeding my Bret as a baby of about 9 to 10 months, watching a documentary or new show or something on a famine area in Africa. I can still see this baby, his eyes as big as his face, so trusting and so sad in a thin pitiful little body. I wished that half of what my baby didn't even finish could have gone to Africa. It would have brought that child a healthy body and a chance to grow strong and healthy.

FIRST BABY

FIRST LOOK

by Hutz Deeley (My Dad as he described his first look at me, his first child.)


When I first saw you this is what I said.
That can't be ours, bring out another one instead.
But your Mother pleaded. "Let's wait and see."
And reluctantly I did agree.
In a couple of days your face did clear
The scars were gone and with them my fear.
After a time some good looks did gather
Tho sorry to say you resembled your father.
When more years did pass, another, another.
Praise to the Lord, you looked more like your mother.
You grew quite fast and into your teens
And took your right place in the rank of the queens.
Time quickly passed, you went out on your own.
A mother yourself and a good one it's known.
Altho you've grown older as all people do.
No one could tell it by looking at you.
You really are pretty, may it never fade
So now I'll take back the first statement I made.
And now I'll conclude with this old Irish Song,
Be a long time in Heaven
Before the devil knows you're gone.
There was a second ending for the 1st BABY poem:

You really are pretty that surely is true
And have changed all my thoughts of my first look at you
This story must prove and please take my advice
Never judge a picture til you've looked at it twice.


I am glad it is evening and I can rest now.

Have a nice evening.

Mary

No comments: