Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Last night I went to St. Dominic's Church in Sheboygan to meet with other council members from parishes all over Sheboygan County and a "team" including Bishop Sklba from the Archdiocese, to discuss the plans for coping with the continuing priest shortage. Blessed Trinity, my home parish, is going to be asked to "cluster" with St. John the Evangelist in Kohler. St. John and Blessed Trinity both want to keep their own identities and their own councils. We will work towards that end.

These are distressing times. The heirarchy is shrinking but seem reluctant to give any of their authority to the laity. We must keep persisting and pray that the Spirit will guide us on this rocky path.

I keep reading and trying to learn and hoping that there is a plan here.

The temperature was 15 this morning when Chelsea and I went out for our walk but for some reason, it hurt her pads. I ended up carrying her for a bit and then we hurried home. Tomorrow, we won't even try to leave the yard because it is supposed to be below zero. I mentioned carrying her at bible study this morning and Mary, one of the others, said she is going to walk with me because her feet hurt sometimes when she walks and she wouldn't mind being carried too.

My dear Mom celebrates her 88th birthday today. What a special lady. We are so blessed to have her. I will post a poem by Austin Clarke that I feel is a portrait of her.

THE PLANTER'S DAUGHTER

When night stirred at sea
And the fire brought a crowd in,
They say that her beauty
Was music in mouth
And few in the candlelight
Thought her too proud,
For the house of the planter
Is known by the trees.

Men that had seen her
Drank deep and were silent,
The women were speaking
Wherever she went -
As a bell that is rung
Or a wonder told shyly,
And O she was the Sunday
In every week.


Have a good day and keep warm.


Mary

No comments: