Thursday, October 02, 2003

It froze in many area of the county last night. We seemed OK. At least nothing I looked at seemed damaged. I am bringing in my hanging pots and cutting off the geraniums and vines. We will see if I can keep them through the winter. Last year some of my vines did survive the winter. Next year, I want more color anyway. It didn't get much over 50 degrees, but Chelsea and I went out and did some trimming on the hedge in the front yard. I want everything nice for the winter.

I've been thinking of my brother Matt lately. He was a poet, you know. He died when he was only 17 but he left us his poetry and some paintings too. After he died his friends did a concert so that his poems could be published and we have that book. I will share one of his poems with you. He never used captial letters.

THE DAY BEFORE I TOOK MY LEAVE

the day before i took my leave
the breath howled heavy in the tubes
and walls were thick and thin and red
and i kicked and moaned like life
the day before i took my leave
life had struck me in the face
i saw the seas of existance run
through the tunnels to my spark
my spark shined brightly in the darkness
darkness giving birth to dreams
i think i dreamed of what i'd be
where i'd go and what i'd see
what i'd do and who i'd love
i've loved many loved them true
ever since i left the room
i've seen I've felt i've cried i've heard
i've felt sadness joy and pain
i wonder...
would i be willing to go through it all again.

by Matt Deeley (my brother)


Mary

No comments: