Tuesday, September 16, 2003

I was having memories today, so will share them with you. I was thinking of my Uncle George Deeley.

Uncle George was my Dad's younger brother. He was also my godfather. Uncle George never married. He seemed a very content man. He worked hard all his life, retiring from the tanning factory in Sheboygan. He had season tickets to the Packers with a group that went up to all the games. He never drove a car. He was a good looking man and from what people tell me had a beautiful voice.

After he retired, he would go downtown one evening a week and make the rounds of certain bars where he would visit with his friends. This was his social life. I know for sure he always went to Dale's Bar and the Villager. If he didn't show up on "his" night, there would be a call to see if he was feeling ill, or if the weather was bad, offering a ride. Rosemary Eigenberger said that she and Uncle George used to write poetry back an forth in the bar at the Villager.

One night, he was talking to Gert Nitze, a neighbor, who was also downtown socializing. Gert asked George why he never got married. She said that there were a dozen women in Sheboygan Falls who would be glad to marry him. Uncle George just smiled at her and said "Name three."

What a guy. When I was living in California and my boys were young, we looked forward so much to his Christmas gift. He always sent a cheese box. One of those boxes with all the little packages of all the different kinds of cheeses in it. Aunt Helen said he spent hours picking out which boxes went to which people. I know he would have been delighted to watch the boys and their enthusiasm in eating those cheeses.

So those are my memories today. I hope you liked them too.

Mary

No comments: