Wednesday, August 27, 2003

When I lived in Huntington Beach California, I had chickens. Sounds silly doesn't it. But a friend was moving who had 8 chickens of various breeds. There was one little polish chicken, a little black one with a white crest that was the only one who laid a WHITE egg. It was a teeny tiny little egg.

There were three Rhode Island Reds and a leghorn who laid brown eggs.

The last three were Araucona, a breed of chickens that layes green eggs. These eggs are supposed to be lower in cholesteral, a claim disputed by many. But the eggs are fun and make Easter very easy. I wish I could find some of these eggs around. But though the stores will have brown eggs, (at a much inflated price) you never see green eggs. By the way, only the shells are green just like brown eggs.

The eggs we got from these chickens tasted so good. Of course, they were fresh eggs and I fed those chickens nothing but the best.

Bart liked them and used to sit out in the back yard a lot just watching them. I wish I could raise a few again.

Have a nice day.

Mary

No comments: