Tuesday, June 10, 2003

Up until a few years ago, I could not make a good soup. Over time, I have practiced and learned a few tricks. I have also found some recipes. But I do a very successful Dump Soup and will in the following give you basic directions. First, I always cut the back, the neck and the wing tips off of chickens when I buy whole ones and boil them with onion and celery. Then I strain that for the broth. (You can use canned broth if you don't want to bother with the homemade broth.) I saute more onion and celery in a bit of butter (or cooking spray if you want to avoid the fat) and add the broth. Then you add chopped celery, carrots, and whatever leftover vegetables or salads you have in the fridge. It pays to dissolve a bullion cube and salt and pepper to taste. If you don't have any leftover or fresh vegetables, throw in a can or a handful of frozen.
mixed vegetables. Chopped tomatoes or a can of diced tomatoes give it another flavor. It is amazing and I don't throw any leftovers away.

I can finally make a decent stew too but that is another story.

Mary

No comments: