Sunday, March 26, 2006

I just found Garrison Keillor on PBS. What a nice way to end a rather pleasant Sunday. I went to the early Mass. Had a nice visit with Jim Wilsing, my bagpiper friend, who is substituting for Beth Hoegger, our organist/choir director, while she is visiting her daughter in Germany. Does that make sense? Oh well, does to me. I wanted to confir that Jim will play for us at Celtic Mass in September and that he would help Beth and I plan the Mass. I was so pleased today, when we finished singing the communion song there was a bit of time left so Jim played my favorite Irish Aire - the one I wrote the words to for Unity Concert and Celtic Faire.

This afternoon, Bobbie and I worked at Rhine. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. I scored a couple of rounds of trap to give the guys that were doing it a break and it was well worth it. I told Doc that they should MAKE me do a round or two each time I work so that I don't feel so rusty the first round. Before I left, I went through a file cabinet of papers that has been sitting around for years. We sent MOST of it to the incinerator. It was receipts and bank statements and what not from 1990 to 2004. I kept the statements from 1999 to present for the record as they say that 7 years is as far back as they audit. (Some say less and some say more but 7 is the concensus.)

Got home and we had barbecued ribs and potato salad for supper. Nobody was disappointed.

I finished one of my squares for the Church Quilt. Only one and 1/3 more or less to go. I made a pinwheel and a square called Wintergreen which is actually a Christmas pattern but looks great in non Christmas colors too.


a picture of something


The above is a grave marker in the graveyard at St. Michael Church near Parnell. It is a single marker that covered the graves of four children of my great great Grandfather Michael Bowser. The children, at least three of them, died of diptheria during an epidemic at that time. Their brother Joseph, my great grandfather, had to help his father bury the children as the neighbors, though they were concerned and would bring food to the end of the road were unable to help because of fear of the disease. I cannot conceive of losing four babies in less than a year. One almost did me in.

They are hard to read.

Michael S. was born 7/18/1951 and died 6/29/1860
George L. was born 11/5/1855 and died 6/11/1860
Andrew W was born 1/17/1858 and died 6/28/1860
and Sara M was born 10/01/1859 and died 12/28/1859

We find it interesting that Great Great Grandpa had already changed the spelling of his name to Bowser but he used the Bauser spelling for the stone for his children.


Not to be grim. It is actually comforting to know my roots back that far.

Have a great week

Mary

No comments: