Monday, July 21, 2003

I spent part of the afternoon with my Mother. She is such a treasure. Years ago, I heard Liam Clancy recite a poem that I always felt was a portrait of her. After I heard it, I ran into him at Irish Fest and asked him the name of the poem and it's author and he kindly told me. I will share it with you. Everyone who knows my Mother will see her in this poem.

The Planter's Daughter by Austin Clarke

When night stirred at sea
And the fire brought a crowd in,
They say that her beauty
Was music in mouth
And few in the candlelight
Thought her too proud,
For the house of the planter
Is known by the trees.

Men that had seen her
Drank deep and were silent,
The women were speaking
Wherever she went -
As a bell that is rung
Or a wonder told shyly,
And O she was the Sunday
In every week.

Enjoy your day

Mary

No comments: