Monday, April 28, 2003

My E-Mail is added. Thank you, Jim. It is mkunert@aol.com. Feel free. Today I am adding a recipe blurb. Let me know if you like it.


IRISH BROWN BREAD


On my first trip to Ireland, we arrived early in the morning. We were wisked off to
Ennis to the Carrygerry Inn for our first Irish Breakfast. My stepdaughter, Bobbie and I
tasted our first Irish Brown Bread which has become is almost an addiction. I tried it
baking it after that trip but it was on my second tour that I learned the real secret from my
favorite tour guide, Alice Rattigan. You have to aerate the flour by scooping it up with
your hands in the bowl to get lots of air into it before you add the buttermilk. Sifting isn’t
enough so don’t skip the scooping. Trust me.

IRISH BROWN BREAD
2 cups wheat flour
2 cups white flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 tbs.. white sugar
2 tbs.. brown sugar
2 cups buttermilk (in a pinch you can sour milk by adding a tsp. of lemon juice or vinegar
and letting it sit for a bit but buttermilk is best.)

Sieve the dry ingredients into a large bow. Scoop up handfuls of the dry
ingredients and allow to drop back into the bowl to aerate the mixture. (Very Important!)

Add enough buttermilk to make a soft dough. Work quickly as the buttermilk and
soda are working. Knead the dough lightly. Keep flouring hand to keep dough from
sticking. Too much kneading will toughen, too little it won’t rise.

Form a round loaf about as thick as your fist. Place on a lightly floured baking
sheet or stone and cut a cross across the top with a floured knife.
Bake at the top of a preheated oven. 450 Degrees for 35 to 40 minutes. The loaf
will sound hollow when rapped on the bottom. Wrap immediately in a clean tea towel to
stop the crust from hardening.

Raisins can be added if you like. This bread does dry out rather quickly but freshens nicely
if toasted.

No comments: